Open, accessible, compassionate and honest, Irene's focus as the Member of Parliament has been on putting her constituents and community first:
- was the ONLY London area MP to vote against the HST!
Conservative and Liberal MPs voted for the HST!
- has assisted 7000+ constituents with Employment Insurance, Canada Revenue problems, immigration issues, and accessing pension, veterans, and disability benefits .
- after funds were stolen from the branch, Irene fought for the Duchess of Kent Legion and successfully obtained tax relief to keep the branch open and serving our veterans.
- brought together east end small business owners and helped establish an Argyle Business Improvement Association to strengthen small business and create new job opportunities.
- has worked with the faith community to help fight poverty in London.
- created a citizen led committee and worked with City Hall to ensure the Veterans Flag Display was built on Veterans Memorial Parkway, a lasting tribute to our veterans.
- hosted workshops for seniors & people with disabilities to help them access disability tax credit benefits.
- supported ReForest London, Clean & Green London, friends of Meadowlily Woods, and Upper Thames River Conservation Authority initiatives to protect and rehabilitate the local environment.
- has hosted numerous townhall meetings to give constituents a voice.
- helped community organizations access Enabling Accessibility Funding to allow people with disabilities to participate more fully in the community
- sponsored the "Create Your Canada" contest to encourage youth to learn about and participate in the government process.
Working across party lines and with all three levels of government, Irene helped deliver more than $81 million in federal funding to London-Fanshawe.
And more than $160 million in federal funds to the City of London!
Funding highlights include:
- More than $17 million in London-Fanshawe infrastructure (roads, sewers, etc)
- More than $2 million in recreational infrastructure funds for repairs and upgrades to arenas, parks, trails, and sports fields.
- $225,000 in funding for 5 New Horizons for Seniors initiatives to support area seniors.
- $900,000 in Industrial Research Assistance funding supporting businesses in the Veterans Memorial Parkway industrial park, to help keep jobs in London.
- $1.4 million in student job funding to help youth get work experience.
- Over $950,000 for environmental protection (ReForest London; UTRCA)