- The opposition critic for Pensions and sits on the Veterans Affairs Committee
- Fought against Conservative cuts to women’s organizations, housing programs, and the student summer jobs program, successfully winning reinvestment in all three areas.
- Served for 5 years as the NDP Critic for the Status of Women
- Has served as the critic for Seniors, Housing, deputy Critic for Veterans Affairs, and the deputy Critic for Public Safety.
As a frequent, strong voice in Parliament, Irene has introduced:
- Bill C-498, an amendment to the Navigable Waters Protection Act to protect the North Thames, Middle Thames, and Thames River.
Link to Petition: http://irenemathyssen.ndp.ca/post/mathyssen-tables-bill-to-protect-the-t...
- Bill C-422, an amendment to the Employment Insurance Act to eliminate the waiting period that follows termination of employment.
Link to Petition: http://irenemathyssen.ndp.ca/post/introducing-bill-c-422-to-eliminate-ei...
- Bill C-407, an amendment to the Financial Administration Act to require gender balanced representation on federally regulated Boards of Directors.
Link to Petition: http://irenemathyssen.ndp.ca/post/irene-introduces-bill-c-407-an-act-to-...
- Bill C-287, an Act to create a consumer price index for seniors which then can be used to make amendments to the Canada Pension Plan and the Old Age Security Act.
Link to Petition: http://irenemathyssen.ndp.ca/post/petiton-for-bill-c-287
- Bill C-286, an amendment to the Employment Insurance Act which will increase the period a claimant may receive special benefits to care or support a family member from six weeks to fifteen.
Link to Petition: http://irenemathyssen.ndp.ca/post/petition-for-bill-c-286
- Bill C-285, an amendment to the criminal code that will add a person's sex to the list of "identifiable groups" in relation to hate propaganda.
Link to Petition: http://irenemathyssen.ndp.ca/post/petition-for-bill-c-285
- Bill C-284, an Act to create the Advisory Council for the Status of Women.
Link to Petition: http://irenemathyssen.ndp.ca/post/petition-for-bill-c-284
- Bill C-283, an Act to create the office of the Veterans Ombudsman, which will review certain matters pertaining to veterans and and other clients.
Link to Petition: http://irenemathyssen.ndp.ca/post/petiton-for-bill-c-283
- Bill C-282, an amendment to the Excise Tax Act to exempt female hygiene products from the GST.
Link to Petition: http://irenemathyssen.ndp.ca/post/petition-for-bill-c-282
- Bill C-256, an amendment to the criminal code to offer more protection to firefighters.
Link to Petition: http://irenemathyssen.ndp.ca/post/introducing-bill-c-256-increased-prote...
- Bill C-254, an amendment to the Income Tax Act to increase the RRSP deduction limit to include a taxpayers one-time contribution of any severance pay to an RRSP.
Link to Petition: http://irenemathyssen.ndp.ca/post/petition-for-bill-c-254